Monday, February 8, 2010

More Barbies...





The doll below is the Scarlett barbie from Gone With the Wind. She has on her original jewelry. Already the sculpt was well done but now she has lavender eyes and dark lips. The character faces from Barbie are also very interesting to repaint.



I have painted hundreds of Barbies in my repaint history...only some are shown. It doesn't get old even after years. Just as there are an untold number of human appearances so too can a doll's appearance change when given a blank face to start.



When I start a repaint I don't usually have a plan of attack. The features form on their own and develop as the strokes continue. Even so the same sculpt will yield different looks. Some dolls knew right away who they were going to be...others needed a bit of fixing after to get the final touch.



I am still working on getting the teeth to look natural on these dolls. Some collectors still prefer the solid white but others are warming up to the idea. It adds a bit of detail and realism. Beauty marks and freckles can also add to the new features.



The photo shoot consists of many outfit changes and sometimes the hairstyle is changed or a hat is added. I crochet little caps for these dolls and sew small articles of clothing. Even with a smashing outfit and jewels it takes time and patience to get a flattering shot of a doll.



The best lighting for pictures of these small dolls is outside in non direct sunlight. Artificial light (fluorescent and phosphorescent) are a bit trickier. They can cause a glare on the vinyl and paint surfaces. Professional set ups are better for indoor photography. I am still a fan of the outdoors though.



The Kayla sculpt Barbie was a big favorite of mine. She had lovely tanned skin that was striking with a light blond or dark haired reroot. These days I don't see her as much as I used to. These past repaints were done on Kaylas without the over sized head.



Some of these dolls that have been sold on ebay were in complete outfits with matching jewelry. Some of these dolls now live in places overseas that I can only dream of seeing in person. Dolls are international in their appeal!



There are a couple of group shots in this sampling. My favorite set up is when there are more than a few dolls to photograph. It takes a long time to get everything ready for a shot but I love the results.



Among Barbie's friends shown here are Skipper, My Scene, Silkstone, and vintage face dolls. Some Ken dolls have been rerooted with long hair. The Silkstone Barbies are heavier and much higher quality than the playline dolls.



Painting these little faces is a very relaxing past time. The only issue is that the tiny brushes used for detailing wear out incredibly fast. Some artists trim their brushes down. I have tried that and was not satisfied with the results.



These little divas and friends are such fun to customize. Here is a sample of some of my past sold repaints. I used to make a jewelry set to go with them. These were removable and made from silver wire and glass beads.



1 comment: